Friday, February 12, 2010

How much is a dress length in the 1800's?




In the 1800s(maybe even longer) it was common to buy fabric in what was called a dress length. But...how long is that!?

I have honestly wondered this for quite a while after seeing it on period movies and tv shows. Well, it's like trying to find out what consumption really was... who to ask.... so I sent the question out to the web. The best answer I could come up with was from an English website that says it is a measure of 5 and 3/4 yards. Of course, I think they actually use the metric system in England for measuring but I have no idea how that translates to meters.

So...mystery solved! Yea! Now I can sleep better at night not laying awake wondering...(ok that's a little dramatic isn't it) But if you are ever offered to buy a dress length, now you know.

Happy sewing!




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

Here Fishy Fishy

Copyright


Just a friendly reminder that any designs or projects I post here, unless otherwise credited, are copywritten by me. They are to be copied for personal use only. No other dupilcation can be made without prior consent of QuiltingMelodies. Thanks!